Saturday, June 13, 2009

"By small and simple things..."


I love Mom and Dad for their example of going to the Oakland Temple almost every month and now the Sacramento Temple every week.
I love them for teaching me to love nature. I'll never forget all the gardening and lake outings and beach outings. Not to mention the "Secret Spot" at the river.
I love them for teaching me how to garden and work with the Earth.
I love that I know how to make bread, swing a hammer, iron a shirt, wire a house, change a diaper, repair sheetrock, efficiently move heavy objects, sew a button back on, analyze wood grain, and all of this along with all the rest of the endless storehouse of knowledge they have passed on to us and will continue to pass on to us.
I love them for teaching me what true love is and where to find it, how to show it, and how to grow it.
I love holidays with my parents and family. I love that we are so close. I love Christmas time and nativity reenactments.
I love that even if they did have a little extra space at times, we still had to share bedrooms.
I love being with Mom and Dad when they call each other during the day for no reason to say "I love you."
I love it when Dad whistles and hums throughout the day because it reminds everyone how happy and blessed he knows he is.
I love watching Mom open her mouth to brighten the day of strangers irregardless <-- :) of whether it leads to missionary lessons or not. I love Mom and Dad's never-ceasing attention to the small and simple things in life from day to day and moment to moment that can make a lifetime of difference. They have never stopped showing their example that every day is made up of choices upon choices and patience, family, charity, faith, wisdom, and prayer can guide us through and choice we have to make. They have brought great things and miracles to pass by the simple things that this mortal part of the plan has asked of them. And all the miracles will only branch out and sprout exponentially more. I'll never forget waking up (or trying to wake up) at the same time as the sun to go build character and bless the family inside and outside of the home on Saturdays and during summers. I'll never forget asking a question and often being told to seek out the knowledge myself - spiritual or secular - whether or not the answer was already known to the parent being asked. I'll never forget combing beaches and riverbeds for nature's treasures. I'll never forget tamales at Christmas and enchiladas all the rest of the time and crepes and french toast on mornings we felt like some extra nap time later on. :) I'll never forget the examples and testimonies of my parents. I'll never forget that it would have been much more difficult for me to learn about Jesus Christ and his Atonement and teachings and decide to accept it all had I not been taught and shown step by step and day by day the difference it all makes early on. I feel very proud knowing that all of us children and grandchildren are so blessed to have you and know that you are some of the few heroes that have made it past 40 years. I love you with all my heart
.

No comments:

Post a Comment